Historic Augusta’s 2015 Preservation Awards
Historic Augusta awarded the Bill and Marie Bush Friend of Preservation Award to the organization’s past president Tennent Houston for his dedication to downtown revitalization, leadership for the restoration of Union Baptist Church, and support of the mission of Historic Augusta. The Bush Award was established in honor of Historic Augusta founders Bill and Marie “Frenchie” Bush in 2012 and is awarded at the discretion of the Awards Committee to recognize outstanding service to Historic Augusta and its mission of historic preservation in Augusta and Richmond County.
The 2015 recipients of Historic Preservation Awards are as follows:
- 232 Broad Street. Built circa 1920 and located in the Olde Town neighborhood, the home has been a duplex unit and was returned to a single family floor plan after sitting vacant and neglected for years. RAM Construction was responsible for the rehabilitation. Presented to RAM Construction.
- The Mary Warren Home, 2109 Central Avenue. Built in 1915 and a contributing resource to the Summerville Historic District. Designed by prominent architect G. Lloyd Preacher, this property served indigent and widowed women and children until 1994. Listed to Historic Augsuta’s Endangered Properties List in 2015, this certified rehabilitation is now serving as student housing and prominently anchors the corner of Hickman Road and Central Avenue. Presented to Robert Lacher and Jerry Reynolds of KMI LLC.
- 1426 Anthony Road, built c. 1926 and a contributing resource to the Summerville Historic District. This single family home with a rear cottage has slowly been rehabilitated since 2000. Original character defining features include hardwood floors, and a rear cottage was also renovated and serves as an income producing residential unit. Presented to Nancy and Tom Sutherland.
- Dr. William D. Jennings, Jr. House, 2534 Henry Street. Built c.1920, this American Foursquare house sat vacant since the mid-2000s. A contributing resource in the Summerville Historic District, original character defining features include hardwood floors and windows. . Presented to Margaret Williams.
- The Henry Kennedy Building, 1022 Broad Street. Built circa 1901, this is an example of a commercial storefront found in the Augusta Downtown Historic District. This certified rehabilitation was completed by Ben Harrison, who transformed the second floor into 4 income producing residential apartments. General contractor was Peach Contractors and architects were Christopher Booker and Associates, PC. Presented to Ben Harrison.
- The Lowrey Wagon Works, 912 Ellis Street. Built in 1860 by proprietor J. H. Lowrey, the building was converted to a shoe factory for Confederate soldiers during the Civil War. At the end of the war, it briefly served as a school for newly freed American-Americans, and then returned to operation as the wagon works. This certified historic rehabilitation converted the open floor plan into 19 income producing residential units, featuring original wooden beams and flooring throughout the units. Owner and general contractor was Peach Contractors and architect was Jim Webb, Studio 3 Design Group. Presented to Mark Donahue.
Historic Augusta also gave three awards for New Construction. This category was developed in 2013 to encourage the owners of newly-constructed buildings to contribute to the character of the historic neighborhood in which it is built by respecting the location, design, materials, and other character-defining features of historic buildings that surround it. The awardees for 2015 include:
- Powell Pointe, named for Addie Scott Powell, founder of the Bethlehem Area Community Association, community activist and preservationist. Powell Pointe features 8 single-family homes and 32 duplex living units. Presented to Dr. Rodger Murchison, Chairman, Augusta Housing Authority.
- 610 Milledge Road, a project of the Hull Property Group. This property sensitively reflects the architectural character and appeal of the Summerville Historic District. Presented to Coles Doyle, Hull Property Group.
- Turn Back the Block, for 621 Metcalf Street. This faith-based non-profit organization strives to revitalize the Harrisburg neighborhood through the rehabilitation of existing housing stock, new construction, and promotion of home ownership. Presented to Christel Jiles, Executive Director, Turn Back the Block.