Historic Augusta’s 2018 Preservation Awards
Historic Augusta, Inc. is pleased to announce the recipients of ten Awards given at its Annual Meeting held on November 13, 2018, at 5:30 pm at the Augusta Country Club. Historic Augusta recognizes outstanding historic preservation projects each year throughout the city.
Historic Augusta awarded the “Bill and Marie Bush Friend of Preservation Award” to Jacquelyn Murray Blanchard and Albert F. Cheatham for their dedication and involvement with Historic Augusta, Inc., and chairing the committee for the Augusta book, a 50th anniversary project of Historic Augusta. The Bush Award was established in honor of Historic Augusta founders Bill and Marie “Frenchie” Bush in 2012 and is awarded at the discretion of the Awards Committee to recognize outstanding service to Historic Augusta and its mission of historic preservation in Augusta and Richmond County.
The 2018 recipients of Historic Preservation Awards are as follows:
Subotnick-Rones Building, 1006-1008 Broad Street, currently the Southern Salad. Built circa 1900 and located in the Augusta Downtown Historic District, this commercial building is a certified rehabilitation tax credit project and created one restaurant and one retail space on the first floor and two income producing residential apartments on the second floor. Architectural design by Christopher Booker and Associates, construction by Milestone Construction. Presented to Havird Usry.
The Moor House, 1229 Troupe Street. Built c.1906 and located in the Summerville Historic District, this single family home at the corner of Troupe Street and Richmond Avenue had fallen into disrepair but maintained many original character defining features. This owner occupied residence is undergoing final review for certified rehabilitation tax credit projects. General contractor Robertson Restoration. Presented to David Johnson, Dennis O’Keefe, and Heard Robertson.
1217 Troupe Street. Originally constructed c. 1900 and located in the Summerville Historic District, this house is an excellent example of a Queen Anne cottage. This single family home underwent a certified rehabilitation and remains owner-occupied. Original hardwood floors, mantles, moldings, windows and doors were all retained during the project. General contractor Robertson Restoration. Presented to Dennis O’Keefe and Heard Robertson.
Archibald W. Butt Memorial Bridge. Spanning the Augusta Canal, the bridge was originally dedicated in 1914 to honor Augusta native Archibald Butt who died on the Titanic. Work began in November 2016 which major work including replacement of bridge decking, addition of bike lanes, and restoration of lighting. The bridge reopened in March 2017. Construction engineer Anthony Taylor, Augusta Richmond County. General Contractor JHC Corporation, Peachtree City, Georgia. Presented to Augusta-Richmond County.
The Daniel House, 448 Greene Street. Built in 1888 by Zachariah Daniel, a successful grocer in Augusta. The house is the most outstanding and sophisticated example of the Second Empire style in Augusta. The house was abandoned by the previous owner and was subsequently condemned. Listed to Historic Augusta’s Endangered Properties List in 2016, it was sold to the current owner in 2016. The house has been transformed into income producing apartments and is being reviewed for final certification for rehabilitation tax credits. Architectural design Studio 3 Design Group. General contractor Peach Contractors. Award presented to Mark Donahue.
Freedom’s Path, Buildings 7 and 76, Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center Uptown Campus. Building 7 built 1923 and Building 76 built 1945, both as hospital wards. These buildings were sitting vacant on the campus but are now part of the Veteran’s Administration’s Enhanced-Use Lease program to provide housing to homeless veterans. Both properties are under final review for state and federal certified rehabilitation tax credits. Award presented to Patricia Wadley, Property Manager for Freedom’s Path.
The Miller Theater, 708 Broad Street. Opened February 1940, this downtown theater closed in 1983 and the building deteriorated as years went by due to neglect and significant water leaks. The Augusta Symphony accepted the building as a gift from Peter Knox IV in 2011. Work began in 2016 after a large capital campaign to rehabilitate the theater as the symphony’s new home. This certified rehabilitation tax credit project has also received awards from the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation and the Southeast Chapter, Society of Architectural Historians. Architectural design by Lord Aeck & Sargent and 2KM Architects. General Contractor The Christman Company. Award presented to Anne Catherine Murray, Executive Director of the Augusta Symphony.
Saint Luke United Methodist Church, 309 Crawford Avenue. Engulfed by fire in December 2016, the church sanctuary was reduced to exposed masonry walls and wood framing. The Sanctuary was restored for a place of worship, serving Augusta and Harrisburg for many generations. Replacement of features was completed by referencing historic photographs, and the original stained glass windows were restored. Architectural design by Studio 3 Design Group. General Contractor Belfor Restoration from Tucker, Georgia. Award presented to Rev. Luther Felder and Gloria Norwood.
Historic Augusta also gave one award for new construction. This category was developed in 2013 to encourage the owners of newly-constructed buildings to contribute to the character of the historic neighborhood in which it is built by respecting the location, design, materials, and other character-defining features of historic buildings that surround it:
Guardhouse Townhomes, 2401-2407 Walton Way. Designed by Megan Carranza of Gooj Designs. General contractor Garren Construction. Award presented to Troy Jordan, Dennis Trotter, and James Trotter.
For more information, contact Historic Augusta at (706) 724-0436.