Historic Augusta’s 2016 Preservation Awards
2016 Preservation Awards
Historic Augusta, Inc. is pleased to announce the recipients of seven awards given at its Annual Meeting held on November 1st, at 6:00 pm at the Augusta Country Club. Historic Augusta recognizes outstanding historic preservation projects each year throughout the city.
The 2016 recipients of Historic Preservation Awards are as follows:
The Partridge Inn Augusta, 2110 Walton Way. An iconic landmark building in the Summerville Historic District, the most recent rehabilitation has brought this historic hotel up to the Hilton Curio standards while retaining original millwork, plaster, and stamped tin ceilings throughout the interior. Construction management by Janus Associates, interior design by Sims Patrick Studios, and architectural design by Dickinson Architects. Award presented to Jane Spano, Regional Director of Operations and Tijuana Jenkins, Director of Sales and Marketing.
Windsor Manor / Coleridge, 3594 Windsor Springs Road. Built in 1921 for Arthur T. Cole, a prominent Chicago resident, and designed by architect Willis Irvin. Listed on Historic Augusta’s Endangered Properties List in 2012, the property was purchased in 2014 by Ian Shiverick who has performed nearly all of the rehabilitation himself and was recently featured in This Old House magazine for his mesmerizing hand-painted floor detail. Award presented to Ian Shiverick.
1438 Anthony Road, built c. 1910, this large Queen Anne style home located in the Summerville Historic District was purchased in 2011 by Abby Wood. Rehabilitation work included removal of layers of wallpaper and linoleum and refinishing the original hardwood floors and moldings and installing a contemporary kitchen. After completion of the rehab in 2016, it was sold to a new owner. Award presented to Abby Wood.
2840 Walton Way, built in 1926 and designed by Willis Irvin, this stately Tudor style home was built for Alonzo Boardman, Sr., and was purchased by the current owners in 2015. The adjacent cottage was renovated first followed by the main house. Serious structural issues with original beams in the kitchen were resolved and the meticulous restoration of original flooring, plaster, metal frame windows, and fireplaces were completed over the last year. Plaster work completed by Cliatt Contractors and Mahoney Stucco and electrical work completed by Ferrell Electric. Award presented to Christie and James Ferrell.
Vineyard Community Church, 3713 Wrightsboro Road. Built in 1934 in the Colonial Revival style, the Old Sue Reynolds School was listed to Historic Augusta’s Endangered Properties List in 2008 with two other surplus school buildings. Vineyard Community Church purchased the school building in 2015, emptied the building of abandoned furniture and cleaned the spray paint graffiti from the halls and classrooms. The church held its first service in August of 2016 and is very proud to know this historic resource has been saved for those in Augusta-Richmond County. Award presented to Jeffrey Miller of Vineyard Community Church.
The Burum House, 2306 Walton Way. Built in 1900 for Henry Percy Burum as his private residence, this prominent home at the corner of Johns Road and Walton Way sat vacant after the last occupant moved out in 2000. The new owners purchased the home in 2014 and began the lengthy process of stabilizing the home after years of deferred maintenance. The house has been renovated inside and out for a growing family. Original character defining features include moldings, mantles, and built-in shelving. Project contractor was Keith Howard and interior layout and design by Yancey Sherrouse. Award presented to Anna and Wilson Allgood.
Historic Augusta also presented one award for new construction. This category was developed in 2013 to encourage the owners of newly-constructed buildings to contribute to the character of the historic neighborhood in which it is built by respecting the location, design, materials, and other character-defining features of historic buildings that surround it. The award for 2016 was presented to Sarah and John Eckley.
419 Second Street, this vacant lot at the corner of Telfair Street and 2nd Street was purchased in 2015 by the Eckleys. As new construction within the Olde Town Local Historic District, the proposed design and materials were reviewed by the Augusta-Richmond County Historic Preservation Commission and approved prior to breaking ground. The Eckleys moved into their new home in mid-2016. RAM Construction served as general contractor and Ray Good Custom Home Designs provided the design.