Questions & Information
Call 706.724.0436
Wildrow Wilson Boyhood Home

Greene Street

Greene Street

Walking Tour Key Walking Tour Key

The Greene Street corridor was historically the upscale residential address of Augusta, but it was also lined with old churches, governmental buildings and some businesses. It’s tree lines streets and shaded center parked median makes the ideal route for a stroll. Besides the beautiful architecture, look at the many monuments found along the way. Both the Municipal Building and the Augusta Public Library can be found here.

MUST SEES:

  • Signers Monument
  • First Christian Church
  • Union Baptist Church
  • Sacred Heart Cultural Center
1001 Greene Cobb House 72

1001 Greene Street

Cobb House. Originally known as the Shirley Hotel, this was built in 1916 and proclaimed  “Augusta’s first modern apartment building.” After the devastating fire that destroyed much of the residential area  east of downtown Augusta in March 1916, this type of development was much in demand. The architect was G. Lloyd Preacher of Augusta and Atlanta. After a decline, it was rehabilitated in the 1980s and renamed the Cobb House after the original principal investor, Ty Cobb, world renowned baseball great who lived in Augusta. The apartment house was originally named for his daughter, Shirley.

1025-29 Greene A&P 72

1025-1029 Greene Street

This was originally built in 1938 by an Atlanta investment company called Andrews Point. Its first tenant was a new location of Atlantic and Pacific Food Stores (A & P), which remained here until 1975. It was remodeled as offices in 1979