Questions & Information
Call 706.724.0436
Wildrow Wilson Boyhood Home

BonAir Hotel, 2101 Walton Way

2013 Endangered Properties List

Owner: Privately Owned
History and Significance: The original Bon Air Hotel that was built in 1889 and consumed by fire February 3, 1921. The large Spanish Revival architectural masterpiece that sits on the hillside of the Summerville Historic District opened January 29, 1924 as the Bon Air-Vanderbilt Hotel and is located on nearly twelve acres of land. With over 300 rooms, the BonAir hotel featured sparkling chandeliers and brass fixtures throughout the building. Many former employees also
remember the marble and hardwood floors and many spacious facilities including the Terrace Room and the Crystal Room. The popularity of the hotel increased throughout the 1920s and with the beginning of the Masters Golf Tournament in 1934. During the 1950s, many conventions were booked at the hotel including an appearance by President Eisenhower’s Press Corps and staff. The Bon Air Hotel closed in 1960 after the owners were unable to secure a mortgage. The current use of the building is residential apartments for senior citizens and those in the low income demographic. The Bon Air is listed as a contributing structure in the Summerville Historic District listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Over the last several years, the architectural character and historic integrity of the building
has been compromised with the removal of significant defining features such as balconies and historic windows.

 

Potential Uses: Mixed use;
commercial office space; income
producing residential apartments;
conference center.
Preservation Tools: (1) A contributing
resource in the Summerville Historic
District, which is listed on the National
Register of Historic Places, and is
therefore eligible for all programs
of the National Register which
include available grant funds and tax
incentives for certified rehabilitations;
(2) located in the Summerville Local
Historic District which means that any
alteration to the exterior, including
demolition, must be approved by the
Augusta Richmond County Historic
Preservation Commission.