Goodale – 745 Sand Bar Ferry Road
Owner: Privately Owned
History and Significance: The storied history of the Goodale house has been thoroughly documented through the years and the house remains alluring to those who pass by along Sand Bar Ferry Road. It was built in 1799 and listed to the National Register of Historic Places as the Fitzsimmons-Hampton-Harris House in 1976. This two-and-a-half story brick Federal style home sits on a raised basement. Although the term “inn” is a misnomer, the tract of land has been known as “Goodale” since the establishment of the 500 acre plantation in 1740 by Mr. Thomas Goodale who operated the Sand Bar Ferry across the Savannah River. The plantation was sold in 1799 to Mr. Christopher Fitzsimmons from Charleston, SC, who built the house. He later presented it as a gift to his daughter’s husband, Wade Hampton Jr. The original floor-plan of the house included 10 rooms and a one-and-a-half story addition on the rear of the building was constructed c. 1900. The nomination for the National Register of Historic Places suggests that Goodale is one of the oldest structures in Georgia to survive in a relatively unaltered condition. Although many Augustans remember the “Goodale Inn” Restaurant during the 1970s and 1980s , the building has often sat vacant since the early 1990s and Historic Augusta has previously identified the Goodale as a threatened property. For the past several years, the building has been bought and sold but has yet to be rehabilitated and placed back in service. The recent collapse of the western wall has escalated the need to stabilize the building and determine a preservation plan. Although the location of the building is in an industrial area, its proximity to the Bobby Jones Expressway/I-520 is desirable.
Threat: Vacancy, property surrounded by industrial development; wall has collapsed.
Potential Uses: Private residence, commercial offices, restaurant.
Preservation Tools: Individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places makes this historic property eligible for programs of the National Register, specifically certified historic rehabilitation tax credits at the state and federal levels.